At Joanna Project we love to get alongside vulnerable women, often addicted to substances and involved in street prostitution in Leeds. We aim to journey with them and help them rebuild hope, show them they are loved and restore dignity.
1. Reaching out: Evening outreach – three times a week staff and volunteers go out and meet women working on the streets and provide for their immediate practical needs: food, drink, shelter and someone to talk to. We work closely with the police to help keep women safe.
2. A place to belong: Day time sanctuary – Women come to Joanna House during the day to access practical and emotional support, and engage in meaningful activity. All women are welcome and it becomes a ‘family’ where they can belong.
3. Building confidence and relationships: One to one support – We build excellent relationships with statutory services and host appointments for housing, drug treatment, sexual health and health for women experiencing barriers when accessing services. Additionally, we visit women in the community taking them to appointments and building relationships.
Praise God for the women whose lives we have touched this year. Here are some comments to be thankful for:
“Thank you for sharing family.”
“Thanks for everything you have done for me and helping me into a better position in my life.”
“I love you all so much and would be lost without you.”
“God made people like you to help guide and genuinely care for people like me, help us to value ourselves and make better choices in life, support us in a non-judgemental way.”
Please pray for:
· Strength for the women to make the changes they long to see in their lives, free from addiction, poor mental and physical health, and unhealthy relationships.
· The women to know their identity as women loved by God. Pray they would learn to be kind to themselves.
· Greater support networks and for those who are interested in church to feel welcome and valued.
· More Guardian Angels (regular givers) to commit to supporting our work financially on a regular basis.